top of page

What qualifications does a Sex Therapist have?

Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a Sex Therapist or say that they practice Sex Therapy, so it’s a good idea to be a careful consumer and do your research before you decide on a provider.  You want to find someone who has significant training and experience in providing Sex Therapy.  Many licensed mental health professionals do not receive training in sexual issues. 

My recommendation is that you choose a therapist who is affiliated with AASECT (The American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapist).  You can check the AASECT provider directory to find Certified Sex Therapists and Sex Therapists in training who are working under the supervision of a Certified Sex Therapy Supervisor. 

These individuals will have a Master’s or Doctoral degree in the mental health field and hold a professional license in their state (such as Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Social Worker, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, etc.).  Sex Therapists will have significant training in human sexuality and gender issues as well as extensive training in a variety of sex therapy techniques.  Training includes providing Sex Therapy under the supervision of a Certified Sex Therapy Supervisor as well as ongoing professional education in human sexuality and sex therapy issues. 

If you are considering working with a sex therapist, I encourage you to get to know them via their website and social media presence to find out if they are experienced in the areas you want to work on, and if their personality and approach seems like a good fit for you.

bottom of page